Gardening is an exciting but demanding and time-consuming hobby. Every person who has green fingers wants to choose the best plants for the garden and make everything look perfect. A variety of plants, including perennials, annuals, shrubs, and trees, can be found in most gardens. Knowing the many varieties can help you better understand how they develop and how to take care of them. Additionally, each one of them contributes something unique to the garden, ensuring that it looks nice all year round.
So, why is it necessary to know all the plants in your garden? Let’s find it out together in this article.
You need to know how to care for plants
To keep all your plants healthy and good-looking, you need to know more than just their name. You need to know how your plants grow, what they need, and what is the best environment for them. A perfect combination of plants doesn’t only look good together, but they also remain healthy and receive all the needed nutrients. That’s why you need to dive deeper into YouTube channels and online resources about gardening and find more information about the plants you are interested in.
Some plants can be poisonous
This is one of the biggest problems beginner gardeners may face. Some plants can negatively affect the other ones and cause many problems for all your garden. Some good-looking and nice-smelling can quickly become ‘toxic killers’. Especially if you have small kids and pets at your home, you need to be extra careful about selecting safe plants for your garden. Here are the plants you have to avoid:
- Lily of the Valley
- Castor Oil Plant
- Water Hemlock
- Manchineel tree
- Rhododendrons and Azalea
These are only the most popular toxic plants, make sure you double-check each plant you choose.
How to identify all plants in the garden?
Now that you know about the importance of knowing every single thing you plant in your garden, let’s talk about the easiest way to identify them. You just need to install a Lily app on your mobile phone. This mobile app is both a plant care and identifier solution that helps iPhone users have a better gardening experience. To identify a plant, you just need to take a photo of it and the app will process it. Then, you will see all the needed information about the plant, including its specifics and the care it needs. If you have any questions, you can chat with gardening experts. Lily app also sends you notifications about watering and fertilizing plants in your garden. It’s better to add every plant you have to this mobile app to receive all the notifications you need.
What to consider while choosing plants for your garden?
All plants are different and each one may need special care. While selecting them for your garden, here are the most important things to take into account.
- Every plant grows into a different shape and size. Find out how big each plant will get when it reaches full maturity before choosing it, and this is especially important if the plants you choose are trees. You need to be careful that they don’t outgrow the space you put them in. Additionally, roots have a tendency to spread widely, which could harm the foundation of your house.
- One of the most crucial factors to take into account while designing your garden is the climate. It might be wise to do some study on the plants that are best for your environment before visiting the nearby nursery. When deciding which plants would thrive in your garden, take into account the soil type and climate.
- All plants with no exception require upkeep. How much sunlight or water will they require? Some plants require particular growing conditions, and some may require occasional pruning to keep them in check and prevent them from taking over your yard. Keeping these elements in mind, you must determine whether you are willing to invest the time necessary to maintain your garden or whether to select low-care plants that demand less work.
- Time to flower. Nothing is more beautiful than flowers in full bloom, displaying their vibrant colors and enhancing the scene in your garden. A plant calendar is a terrific option if you want gorgeous flowers all year round. This will aid in planning which plants would bloom best throughout particular seasons. For instance, flowers that blossom in the summer won’t thrive in other seasons. Evergreens are the best choice if you want plants that grow all year long and enjoy lush foliage.
- Disease and parasite resistance. Although having plants around is wonderful, they can be vulnerable to infections that seriously harm their health and necessitate treatment. Bugs might also be an issue. Some plant species are more able to withstand these dangers, though. Spend some time researching which plants may have higher resilience to parasites and illnesses to prevent dealing with these issues in the future.
To Wrap Up
Knowing all the plants is essential to having a beautiful garden and healthy plants in there. You can easily do that by installing a Lily plant identifier app on your iPhone.